Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mars and Venus I

To the best of my own knowledge, I have no friends at all who are fans of John Gray's Mars and Venus industry. Standing in their shoes, I'd have to say they have a point.

Gray doesn't have any training relevant to the kind of advice he offers--although you must admit that being the head trainer at hundreds of seminars probably amounts to a real education for the trainer. His gender schema is so simplistic, you wonder whether to laugh at it or cry. Kvetching is, I believe, the accepted middle way.

He applies his arguments so very broadly that he ends up saying "this is what (all) men are like," a claim so aggressive that not even he could have much confidence in it. And he has constructed a system in which nothing, absolutely nothing, can be counted as evidence against the truth and usefulness of what he is saying.

But I am not standing in my friends' shoes. I am standing in my own shoes and I am a fan of Mars and Venus. It's really awkward for me, as you'd imagine.

I don't have any rebuttals to make against the criticisms my friends make, nor of the legion of well-credentialed counselors and researchers who make even nastier and better grounded criticisms. And I don't want to make any rebuttals. Here is the single claim that grounds and "justifies" my commitment to John Gray's work. When I do what he says to do, it always turns out better than if I did what I would otherwise have done. Or, more briefly: it works.

My friends don't argue against that. Nor, I am happy to say, does my wife.

Let me give you an example. This is the first one that grabbed my attention. The chart to which I am referring can be found on pp. 119--120 of Mars and Venus on a Date. The section is headed "Explanations Don't Work on Venus."

He Says: I’m sorry that I was late. There was a huge accident on the bridge. The traffic was terrible. It was so hot and it took so long, I was stuck behind this huge truck…

She Hears: I have a good reason for being late, so you shouldn't be so upset about this. You should be happy that I made it here at all.

Now I am the kind of guy who really hates to be at fault. I am not the only man in my acquaintance who has that particular difficulty. All my inclinations, before I read this chapter, would be to say exactly what his schmuck said. If I were told that "she" would hear what I said as this woman has heard it, I would have argued that she doesn't have any right to hear it that way and that she really ought, in the spirit of fairness, to be more generous than that. You can see what this chart would have meant to me. It was a slap in the face.

So to the best of my ability, I say whatever it takes to enable her to hear that I am sorry to have inconvenienced her. That is really the only point worth making first. Later on, maybe, there will be time for an explanation, but by that time it will not be heard as a reason why she really should feel differently than she does feel.

So here's my John Gray dilemma. I don't like his views. I don't like his system. When I do what he says to do, it works. The cost to me, so far as this topic is concerned--you noticed, I trust, that the title of this post is M & V I--is giving up my attempts to justify myself; to show that, contrary to appearances, I am not really in the wrong. The benefit is that I say to my wife what will meet her objections and open her to hear my explanation when the time is right and open her to me right away. Those sound like pretty good outcomes, especially given that the cost is so small by comparison.

So I'm a fan. Some smaller, less noble part of me wishes that I could say about the Bible what I have said about the Mars and Venus "tracts," but in fact, the Bible is not a tract--thank God--and the behavioral implications are not always straightforward. (See Frances 1, Jesus 0).

5 comments:

  1. Did I miss the part where you point out what the guy should have said, rather than what he did say?

    I'm surprised to hear that you're a fan, though, given the results, I understand it. But I also get why you don't really respect Gray or his books.

    The problem I have with it, and I'll bet you do too, is that it requires you to change what you're saying in order to cater to people who hear things that aren't there. There was nothing in your example that any reasonable person would have taken as insulting, yet the woman in that scenario managed to find a slight in there. Wow.

    I get that people communicate differently, and that you need to factor that in when dealing with them, but I'm not sure I like where this is going.

    Then again, maybe if I actually read the book I'd be totally on-board. Frankly it's just too early in the morning to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4:24 a.m.? Insomnia, thou hast made thy masterpiece! You are amazingly coherent, I'd say, given the hour.

    The "don't like where this is going" is exactly what I stumbled over. Also the "any reasonable person" part. Also "hear things that aren't there." My advice to myself, eventually, was this: give all that up and do the things that work.

    My own experience has been that when I do them often enough, I begin to intuit what that "other mode of hearing" must be and to respond to it as if it were a foreign language I knew how to speak and would choose to speak as a courtesy to the hearer. It feels a great deal better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, just back from seeing Mom over the weekend, says:

    You've got your profile set up for Pacific Time, so comments from your Midwestern son shows up as coming in three hours earlier than they did. Think up for work, not couldn't sleep.

    I'm actually heartened to hear that you had the same trouble I did. I'm not crazy about the idea of going out of my way to change perfectly good language so that people who can find a way to take offense, can't. That's just wrong.

    The the reality is that we all do it. We know what the people in our lives want/need to hear, the order in which it should be said, and what should be emphasized or attenuated. We know all that intuitively, really. You don't talk to your students the same way you talk to your bothers (and I'm sure they're all different too), or your children, etc. If you know the person well enough, or are clear enough about your relationship with them, the rest just falls into place. More or less.

    This isn't to say that some tweaking isn't a good idea now and then, but I think most of us have the bones.

    -Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right about all of that, Doug. The difficulty often comes in wanting to speak in the way that will be best understood, not so much in knowing whom to address in what mode. Your example of talking to students v. talking to brothers nails that down.

    The biggest hurdle, I think, is getting over the idea that you have the right to communicate using your own favorite mode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Fine," he said tersely. "I guess we'll just have to agree to agree."

    -Doug

    ReplyDelete