Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January 17: Day 75 of the 2012 Campaign

I realize that I pay more attention to this blog that most people do, having both to write it and to read it. But there are compensations, e.g., I get to read the comments. This post is about one particular comment, which was made to a post a long time ago and which I have just discovered. It is also about the question of what the 2010 election meant and what it is coming to mean.

So, a little background first. The maker of the comment is Bo DiMuccio, a friend of mine from my Pennsylvania days and a "friend since high school" of my son, Dan. Bo has a Ph. D. in political science from a very prestigious university (even though it is in California, which is not the way to an Oregonian's heart)and when he read my post about the likely effects of the 2010 election, he raised some questions I have not heard anyone else raise.

My goals for this post include: a) thanking Bo for raising the questions, b) summarizing the questions as I understand them, c) responding to the questions as best I can, and d) opening the forum for other readers who, I know for certain, have political views and may, just speculating here, be looking for a place to post them. I want to extend my remarks on only one of those goals. When I say I want to respond, I don't want to be heard to say I want to support or oppose them. I don't want to do either of those. I want to extend the implications so we can all look at them and see how we feel about them.

When I was in grad school (in that state just north of California) I either knew a guy or heard a story about someone who made decisions by flipping a coin. He wasn't simpleminded; quite the contrary, he was quite sophisticated. He knew that he had more definite feelings about what to do than he was able to access directly. So he would toss the coin and call "heads or tails," as everyone does, and then pay attention particularly to how he felt about the outcome. He might have thought he was fine with either option, but he noticed that when it came up "tails," he was disappointed. That surprised him. He hadn't known that he really preferred the "heads" option. But now that he knows it, there is no reason not to choose it.

My response to Bo's questions is like that. I'm going to toss my coin in this post and then see how I feel about it. I hope I will also discover how Bo feels about it and possibly how others of you feel about it as well.

So what did Bo actually say? He said he thought my explanation--that the same discontents that drove Democrats and Independents to the polls in 2008 to elect a bunch of Democrats drove Republicans and Independents to the polls in 2010 to elect a bunch of Republicans--was extreme. He wondered whether I really thought there was NO repudiation of the first Obama biennium. I think it's a good question and it isn't a question that is being asked among the people I talk to routinely, so I value it quite a bit.

I think the best short answer I can give the question is "No," but if I had a few more words under the word cap, I think I'd say, "Maybe a little." First, there is no question at all that a lot of people who were enthusiastic about Obama the candidate, full of promises and charisma, were not so enthusiastic about Obama the president, working to fulfill those promises and playing second fiddle to a lot of Democratic Senators with even less charisma than Joe Biden. In short, Obama the President really didn't turn so many people on. So far, I'd call that a reaction to the change in style.

I don't think I'd say that the 2010 vote was a repudiation of the work of the first two years. People really want a healthcare law. The polling on that was overwhelming. They aren't sure they like this particular healthcare law and a lot of people were turned off by the spectacle of Senate venality. My favorite is Senator Ben Nelson's agreement to vote for the healthcare bill provided all the states except his had to pay for it. Go Ben!

I think a lot of people are unhappy that the economy has begun so very slowly to turn around. You can tell that partly because only 11% of the people thought Obama was Muslim when he was inaugurated and by the end of this election cycle, 18% thought he was Muslim. What else, I say, trying to hit just the right tone of irony, would account for the lackluster performance of the economy?

It is also true that the Republicans scared the crap out of a lot of voters by threatening the imminent collapse of the Republic if the healthcare bill passed. The worst of those, I think, was the transformation of Earl Blumenauer's (D- Portland)proposal for early end-of-life discussions with physicians into "death panels."

I think people began to worry that Obama was going "too far," even though "too far" was arrived at by adding up the federal actions taken in a substantial variety of settings and many of which would have had to be done by a Republican administration as well. If the loss of early enthusiasm and the rising wariness about our prospects could be called "repudiation," then I'd have to agree with Bo that there was some. And there will be more under all scenarios whatsoever--except a rapid acceleration of the economy leading to an unprecedented pace of hiring. And that's not going to happen.

The model underlying Bo's question is a beauty. Of all the things he said, I am most pleased by that. What part simple off-year turnout and what part policy repudiation? Thanks, Bo. Stay tuned. I'm still working on it.

5 comments:

  1. Dale,

    Your reply/post is kind, enjoyable and compelling. In fact, I am compelled to spend some time determining "how it feels." When I have done so, I'll respond thoroughly. Until then,

    Best regards,

    Bo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 1:

    “How Does It Feel ?” It’s the Bob Dylan approach to political discourse I guess, and an interesting idea to be sure. For a contentious issue around which you probably have strong opinions, flip a coin (each side representing an opposing point of view), adopt or at least try and defend whatever side comes up and then see “how it feels.” Well, it’s a good thing, Dale, that your coin apparently landed on the side that said “no repudiation in the 11/2010 election result or maybe only a little.” I get the feeling that the other side of the coin wouldn’t have made you feel good at all. I say this because your post is, I believe, essentially a defense of your original position. Where you do concede ground to the other argument, I would contend that it’s more appearance than substance. And this, I suppose, is why your response doesn’t “feel good” to me.

    I read your response as basically saying that some of the folks who voted for Obama may have turned against him in the November mid-term, but not for any truly sensible reasons. I further read into your post that sensible reasons don’t really exist. What are the possible grounds for repudiation that you put on the table? (1) Obama’s style and level of charisma disappointed. (2) People were excessively impatient with the pace of economic recovery. (3) People fell prey to exaggerated and inflammatory Republican rhetoric. (4) People thought Obama went “too far,” but they failed to understand that we were already there. Do you see what I mean? These are all grounds upon which people might have rejected Obama, but they are not reasonable. They reflect, alternatively, (1) pettiness or smallness; or (2) immaturity and short-sightedness; (3) or gullibility or susceptibility; or just (4) illogic and hypocrisy. In short, it seems to me that the grounds you offered are really just straw men.

    Where you do come closest to conceding the repudiators a legitimate point is in their distaste for the untoward, corrupt and exceedingly partisan way in which the three signature Democratic pieces of legislations were passed in 2009-10 (stimulus, financial reform and especially health care). You don’t even really qualify that one, conceding “venality” even, amongst the Senate Democrats. But I must say … I get the feeling that this single, possibly “legit” gripe does not carry very much explanatory weight in your overall argument. This puts us, in effect, back on the original square.

    Continued ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part 2:

    Now, as you can guess, I do think there’s a meaningful element of true, legitimate policy repudiation in the 2010 election outcome. In a future post, I’ll present my arguments and evidence for this. For now, you might find it interesting that in terms of things I’m hearing in my circles, the situation is the exact opposite of yours. I scarcely know anyone who does NOT view the election simply an utter rejection of the Obama/Democratic agenda. What a couple of echo chambers will both live in, eh? But as I suggested in my original post, I don’t believe that’s a reasonable position either. You and I both know that it’s no mere academic pursuit to arrive at an accurate interpretation of election results. Whoever accurately and honestly interprets this mid-term stands to do much better in upcoming elections at all levels of government. Burying one’s head in the sands of delusion is a recipe for failure for those running for office, and for the rest of us a state of perpetual frustration. The real value is in getting it right, not getting it so that it “feels best.”

    We have a microcosm of the practical implications of “getting it right” in the PA 4th congressional district. Jason Altmire (D) was elected in 2006, easily defeating the Republican incumbent in a district that typically goes “red” in both state and national elections. He won easily again in 2008. Over time, he has established himself as a so-called “blue dog” Democrat. Although he voted for the stimulus and the financial reform bill, he has opposed “cap and trade” and presents himself as “tough on immigration.” More important, he voted against the health care bill when his vote wasn’t needed in the obvious hopes that it would help get him reelected. In the 2010 mid-term he ran hard against Obama/Reid/Pelosi. ALL (I mean ALL) of his ads touted his vote against the health care bill and his willingness to “stand up to Obama/Reid/Pelosi.” He won reelection by 5,000 out of 250,000 votes over a tea party candidate in an obviously Republican year. Just this last week, he voted against the health care repeal bill. I’m guessing his fortunes in 2012 will hinge in large measure on how he continues to act/vote on the bevy of Republican health care related bills that are likely to come up. What people really do think in this district about health care/insurance reform will be rather consequential, I’d say. One thing’s for sure; Altmire’s opponent, whoever it is, will make a big deal out of the fact that he voted against the original healthcare bill but wouldn’t vote to repeal it.

    Anyway, my task in the interactions to come will be to convince you that there was a real element of legitimate, reasonable policy repudiation in the mid-term election of 2010. Yes, I’m taking the coward’s way out and am not really exploring how it would feel to defend your position. Mine was a two-headed nickel, I’ll admit. But let’s face it … you did the same, so it can’t be that bad of a thing! One last point: I was actually delighted by your response … it “didn’t feel good” only in terms of the thought experiment you asked me to conduct. Thanks to you as well for your thoughts. It’s nice to be in touch again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm eager to continue the discussion, Bo, but we really need to find another way to do this. My word counter calls your response (both parts) 1534 words. And I stumbled on the post to which you attached it just by accident. Would I be out of line to propose email exchanges?

    I look forward to reading what you have to say, as always, and will respond as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete